Home LATEST-NEWS #UnrestSA: 139 schools in KwaZulu-Natal destroyed, says education department

#UnrestSA: 139 schools in KwaZulu-Natal destroyed, says education department

11
0
Looters carrying stolen items in Umgeni Road in Durban.

Looters with stolen items on Umgeni Road in Durban.

Gallo Images/Darren Stewart

  • KwaZulu-Natal’s education department insists it will take some time to restore schools damaged in the recent riots in the province.
  • According to the department, some schools had looted gadgets and others had infrastructure damage.
  • Some schools will need to be allocated with mobile classrooms.

KwaZulu-Natal’s Ministry of Primary Education says the updated number of schools damaged as a result of the recent riots in the province is now 139.

News24 reported Monday that the unrest that erupted last week had damaged 52 educational institutions.

Provincial Education Department spokesman Muzi Mahlambi said two of the 52 affected institutions were educational centers and two circuit offices.

He said the department probably wouldn’t be able to repair the facilities any time soon due to budget constraints.

READ | ‘It is destroying our future’: Students concerned after KwaZulu-Natal schools vandalized during unrest during

Education MEC Kwazi Mshengu visited two schools in the Umlazi district on Tuesday to assess the extent of the damage.

Mahlambi told News24 on Wednesday that the updated report was that 139 schools in the province were affected, adding that the majority of them were in Durban.

Mahlambi said headquarters officials also visited districts to assess damage to the schools.

He said the department held a meeting with teachers’ unions, governing body associations and other stakeholders where the vandalism was discussed.

READ|#UnrestSA: Budget cuts hamper KwaZulu-Natal education department’s ability to repair destroyed schools

“We then told them to say that we will do everything possible to meet the deadline of our students returning to schools in terms of repairing where we can repair, offering mobile classrooms where we can do, but it’s going to be a huge task given that we have no money,” Mahlambi said.

He added that the damage to schools was a further burden on the department as it coincided with the imminent return of primary school students to their normal daily schedule.

Primary schools were expected to return to traditional schedules for all students from August 2, News24 reports.

The department’s amended guidelines expected all public schools to reopen on Monday, July 26.

Headmasters, school boards and ground staff were expected to return on Thursday to prepare for Monday.

Primary schools would use next week to prepare for the return of all students from August 2.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here