City officials in Laredo, Texas are suing President Joe Bidens’ Department of Homeland Security to stop the migration of migrants from the Rio Grande Valley to their city for treatment.
In the trial obtained by KGNS News and filed Friday, city officials claim that the border patrol has increased the number of migrant bus transports to Laredo, a border town of about 260,000 people, from 3 to 6 a day, and that the influx has made the migrant crisis “significantly worse” to the city.
REP. CAMMACK SOUNDS ABOUT THE BORDER CRISIS: ‘EVERY CITY IS A BORDER CITY’
Laredo Mayor Pete Saenz told KGNS News that he hopes the temporary detention order that has been filed will stop the bus loads coming into his city, which he says has the potential to overwhelm the city’s resources and increase the spread of coronavirus.
Fox News reported this week that coronavirus cases among illegal immigrants at the border in the Rio Grande Valley sector have had skyrocketed about 900%.
“There is so much pressure to deal with these migrants, I think they are doing the best they can, but again I go to your question … why not send them further north to a society that is better prepared and equipped to handle all operational aspects of these migrants? ”said Saenz.
GOVS. DESANTIS AND ABBOTT, IN BORDER VISITS, WARNING MIGRANT CRISIS RIPPLE EFFECT ON OTHER STATES
Saenz added that the detention order will hopefully give him time to meet with federal officials to hammer out a deal.
Last month, Border Patrol agents in Laredo reported that criminal arrests of illegal immigrants increased by over 1,000% this year. In addition, Border Patrol revealed last week, 188,829 migrants were encountered at the border in June, representing an increase from May.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Over 1 million illegal immigrants have been encountered by border patrol agents this fiscal year at the southern border.