Home LATEST-NEWS Kumasi Girls SHS Students Claim Joint Police, Military Team Attacked Them During...

Kumasi Girls SHS Students Claim Joint Police, Military Team Attacked Them During Riot

4
0

Some students at Kumasi Girls’ High School were reportedly attacked by a joint police and military team deployed to the school to restore calm during riots.

This comes after the students were said to have been delirious on Monday night after being denied an interim break.

The Ghana Education Service (GES) had previously issued a statement urging school authorities to take action as part of measures to stop the spread of Covid-19.

An investigation by Luv News found that the students had vandalized the school’s property.

One of the students identified only as Nana who told the incident to someone on the phone heard her cry as she claimed: “The mistress brought in soldiers and police officers. They beat us and stepped on us, I can’t walk.”

“They came in around 8:30 PM to 9:00 PM. They entered the dormitory with sticks. Some people even passed out and were taken away,” she said, sobbing.

Another student also claimed that they were beaten, “for refusing to comply with the directive to stay on campus”.

According to her, “there is not enough food in the school, but they say they won’t let us go home… the soldiers and police beat up many of us.”

The school’s management has yet to comment publicly on the matter.

Meanwhile, Ashanti’s regional minister, Simon Osei Mensah, commented on the incident, saying he was unaware of the alleged attacks on the students.

“I was not informed about that, maybe I will hear from the regional police commander, according to the briefing I received this morning, that I have not heard anything about an attack,” he said.

“We have asked security to go there to maintain peace and order, so now the place is calm.”

Speak with JoyNews, he said the problem with students is sometimes that “the moment you want to stop them from doing what they want, at the end of the day someone will come out and say I’ve been attacked, even if you push someone to go back, they will say you attacked the person.”

“But I will go there myself and witness for myself whether it is true that a student has been attacked and to what extent,” he said.

Mr Osei Mensah noted that the directive was in the best interest of the students, “so that they do not go out and come into contact with the virus and this is where the disagreement started between the students and the school authorities.”

“The Ghana Health Service, which observes the rate at which the Delta variants of the Covid are spreading, also think it is better for the students to stay in school,” he said. JoyNews’ Nana Yaw Gyimah.

The regional minister stressed the need for the directive, citing that “if you go to Asanteman, we have several cases of covid there, and one person can just bring it and spread it around the school.”

However, he assured that “we will talk to the Ministry of Education and the Ghanaian Health Service to get common ground for all students.”

According to him, “a number of people (security personnel) were left in the school to educate the student about the need” to obey the law and listen to the management and if there are any changes, they will warn them.”

“We didn’t have to put so many security contacts there because it’s also scary at times,” he noted.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here