The new list of possible targets of surveillance released by a global joint investigation, including India’s The Wire, lists three phone numbers used by the woman who in April 2019 accused then-incumbent Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi of sexually assaulting India. harassment.
An internal Supreme Court commission had acquitted Gogoi and he was nominated by the government for Rajya Sabha shortly after his retirement.
According to The Wire, the woman’s numbers, along with eight other numbers used by her husband and two of his brothers, were flagged as possible candidates for surveillance the week her allegations against the former CJI were reported.
One of the woman’s brothers-in-law told The Indian Express on Monday that he or his family were unaware that their phone numbers may have been targets of surveillance.
He said they had “done nothing wrong (humne koi galat kaam kara hi nahi)”, but declined to comment further.
The woman’s husband and a brother-in-law, both stationed with the Delhi Police, were suspended in December 2018. Police had said there was no connection between the suspension and her allegations. As reported by The Indian Express in June 2019, both men were eventually recovered.
Speak with The Indian Express On Monday, her brother-in-law confirmed that they were both back at work and that the woman had been reinstated at the Supreme Court.
In her 28-page complaint dated April 19, the woman alleged that on October 10 and October 11, 2018, the then-CJI made sexual advances at his residence, where she was posted, and touched her inappropriately.
She had alleged that she had been transferred multiple times after the alleged incident and was suspended from service on December 21, 2018 in connection with an investigation launched against her for questioning senior officers’ decisions regarding changing her position. posting and for taking leave without permission .
Responding to the woman’s allegations, Gogoi said: “This is unbelievable. I mustn’t stoop, not even by denying it… There must be a greater, greater force behind it.”
In May 2019, an internal commission of inquiry gave Gogoi a blank slate in an ex parte report, concluding that it “found no substance” in the woman’s allegations.
The woman had said in a statement at the time that “my worst fears have come true” and that “as a female citizen of India I have been treated with great injustice”.