Cape Town – There have been no reported incidents of unrest or looting in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal in the past 24 hours.
This was confirmed on Tuesday by acting minister in the presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, who said about 200 suspects had appeared in Gauteng’s courts this week.
“Three prime suspects charged with inciting public violence have appeared before various courts and have been remanded in custody for bail.
One suspect surrendered in Durban yesterday after a warrant for his arrest was issued. He will appear before the Randburg Magistrate’s Court in Johannesburg tomorrow.”
Ntshavheni added: “Most malls, which were closed due to violence and looting, including the iconic Maponya Mall in Soweto, have reopened their doors for communities to buy the supplies they need.
“Members of the SANDF the SAPS are patrolling several other malls to ensure they can continue trading safely.”
Meanwhile, Ukhozi FM presenter Ngizwe Mchunu, who handed himself over to the KwaZulu-Natal police on Monday, today asked his Facebook followers to donate money to cover his legal costs.
He is expected to appear before the Randburg Magistrate’s Court for the first time on Wednesday, after allegedly being charged under the Riotous Assemblies Act of 1956.
In a series of videos, he gave President Cyril Ramaphosa three days to release ex-President Jacob Zuma from prison or risk causing chaos in the country.
The government previously said it believed 12 people were the mastermind behind the looting and destruction of property that took place in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal. Sibusiso Mavuso, who appeared in court in Westonaria, and Bruce Nimmerhoudt, a member of the Patriotic Alliance, a candidate for mayor of the West Rand, have appeared in court.
Another alleged instigator, a 21-year-old woman, was due to appear before the Nigel Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, but her case did not appear in court. She was arrested in Duduza, Ekurhuleni.
The battle in Ramaphosa’s cabinet continues, with State Security Minister Ayanda Dlodlo and Police Minister Bheki Cele over whether police have been given intelligence on the possibility of civil unrest following Zuma’s imprisonment.
Cele rejected Dlodlo’s claims that the State Security Service (SSA) had provided intelligence reports about the unrest to police when he addressed a meeting of the Joint Standing Committee on Defense and the Portfolio Committee on Police on Tuesday. He said he hadn’t signed up for an SSA intelligence report.
“It is you, the Minister, who would have given the product to me. The Minister of SSA could not give the product directly to the other DG. It would have come to me and I would have given it to the National Commissioner. I I want to reiterate here that I have never seen that product,” he said.
Dlodlo told a news website that intelligence products were always shared with relevant structures. “Intelligence is continuously shared with the police and other structures.”