As companies saw new opportunities to meet rapidly changing customer needs, there was the rise of ghost kitchens during the pandemic. Big brands are taking action-for example, Chili’s virtual brand It’s Just Wings is reported to generate an additional $150 million in revenue each year. NBC Finance Channel.
But how did Ghost Kitchen promote the local business so quickly and successfully from the beginning?
In this article, you will find answers to frequently asked questions about local marketing of Ghost Kitchen, especially for multi-location brands that manage this innovative form of food service on a large scale.
What is a ghost kitchen?
Ghost Kitchen is a virtual restaurant or food production brand that does not operate in its own physical locations. The ghost kitchen may rent space from another restaurant, share space with other ghost kitchen brands or even chefs, or be an extension of an existing restaurant brand.
How does the ghost kitchen work?
Having a strong online presence is critical to the success of any ghost kitchen, as they do not have a traditional location for customers to visit. Usually, discovery is made online through Google search, food delivery apps, and social media. Most ghost kitchens only provide a delivery service, so customers won’t actually visit the place where the food is prepared.
Why is the ghost kitchen so popular?
With the closure of traditional businesses and local consumers seeking food delivery services in large numbers, ghost kitchens have become part of the solution for restaurant owners and the diners they serve. Actually, Restaurant diving It is estimated that the coronavirus pandemic has accelerated the trend of ghost kitchens for five years in just three months.
Compared with the establishment of take-out or dine-in restaurants, Ghost Kitchen provides a lower barrier to entry for entrepreneurs and brands. Since orders and payments can be processed online or through apps, staffing requirements are reduced. For example, Ghost Kitchen can use its own delivery staff or contract delivery through a third-party service (such as UberEats, GrubHub, or Skip The Dishes).
What are the benefits of ghost kitchens for corporate brands?
The lower barriers to entry may not be the driving force behind the brand’s decision to open a ghost kitchen. Conversely, this format enables brands to:
- Quickly develop in new markets that are currently under-served without having to make long-term commitments by establishing new stores.
- Offer new product lines that are generally considered to be outside the scope of the brand.
- To better meet the needs of local customers, provide more types of food delivery options.
How does the brand use Ghost Kitchen?
Applebee’s uses Ghost Kitchen in two different ways.In February of this year, the brand announced its Wings of the universe partners In cooperation with UberEats, this is a ghost kitchen program that provides menus inspired by Cheetah under a virtual brand. This ghost kitchen operates at Applebee’s existing 1,300 locations, allowing the brand to be launched quickly without the need to invest heavily in the construction/equipment of 1,300 new stores.
John Cywinski, President of Applebee, announced the second way the brand will use ghost kitchens in their kitchens 2020 Fourth Quarter Earnings Conference Call March. These ghost kitchen pilot locations are located in a market where Applebee’s currently has no physical storefronts, which makes them more like an outpost of the brand than an extension of existing stores.
Red Robin gourmet burgers have It is said to be experimenting There are different ghost kitchen menus, including chicken sandwiches, chicken wings, and healthy, fresh choices.The brand is also Acting as a ghost kitchen At least in one location for another virtual brand—— Mr. Beast Burger A brand created by the popular YouTuber MrBeast.
The famous Dave’s, a popular barbecue brand, Reach a license agreement Cooperate with Johnny Carino’s brand to provide Dave’s menu outside Johnny Carino’s store.
What does Google think of Ghost Kitchen?
When it comes to how to market Ghost Kitchen online, it is important to follow the “Google My Business” guidelines to increase visibility and protect the existence of virtual brands.
“Virtual kitchens are allowed. Virtual Kitchens are professional food preparation and cooking facilities designed to prepare take-out-only meals through third-party services. They are also known as ghost kitchens and cloud kitchens. Virtual kitchens should summarize their business profile Created as a service area business.”
As a service area business, your ghost kitchen does require postcard verification.
What does the brand need to know about the local marketing of Ghost Kitchen?
There are many different considerations for brands that jump on the Ghost Kitchen Train.
Your ghost kitchen may be an extension of an existing business-for example, you are adding a new and different brand product line outside of your existing location. In this case, you may want to take advantage of the existing brand by adding the ghost kitchen location to your store locator.
On the other hand, a virtual brand may be a completely independent entity serving a market that your existing brand does not have. In this case, you may want to develop a brand new web presence for all locations on a large scale.
Here are some tips to help you get started:
- If you add in-person pickup as an option, You can use existing local lists and avoid the need for batch verification. The business address in the service area is hidden in the GMB list at that location, and you usually only use this address for verification.
- Create a local restaurant page. Local page Based on the searcher’s experience of your listing, provide the rich details and additional information that many customers need to convert to online orders. Here, you can display photos, share your menus, embed comments, etc.-and because these are optimized for search, they rank locally and help build your image.
- Provide your own review information and GMB for each ghost kitchen location. Make sure you have a list of each area you serve so that it will appear in MapPack when hungry diners search. Monitor and respond to all comments, Positive and negative. Legitimacy is important, and you need to build active participation quickly to be considered a trustworthy food choice.
- If you have a budget, please add your Yelp profile. If curious searchers cannot verify that your ghost kitchen location is legitimate, they will go directly to the next option. You can quickly build a strong presence by declaring your profile on the most popular restaurant search platform.
Want to learn more about local restaurant marketing for multi-location brands and franchises? Here are more resources: