30 second summary:
- When looking at the core network lifecycle (CWV), the mobile experience is critical for all categories
- Image compression seems to be the main challenge facing leading brands
- Web pages well done on CWV are essentially informational
- If second-tier retailers are promoted, especially the retail industry may suffer major damage
- In all industries, as long as the problem is solved as a business focus, there will be opportunities and time to improve and prepare.
- Corporate search and digital marketers need to formulate the right course of action to achieve core important benchmarks
- They must also convince other members of the organization that the effort will be worthwhile
Now, our long-awaited implementation of mobile-first indexing has become a reality, which means that from then on, the world’s largest search engine will ignore content that is only visible on the desktop. For many years, “mobile first” has been Google’s priority, because the user experience drum is getting faster and faster.
In just a few months from now, the entire page experience update will also be fully rolled out. Page experience “measures how users perceive all aspects of the experience of interacting with a web page,” According to Google And contains five main search signals.
Hope you are already familiar with at least four of them, because they have been in use for some time. As Google strives to keep up with evolving consumer expectations, mobile friendliness, safe browsing, HTTPS security, and intrusive interstitial guidelines have all been rolled out and updated.
So what’s new?
In May, the signal from a new indicator called “Core Network Vitality (CWV)” will be combined with these four existing signals into a giant indicator called ” Page experience. BrightEdge (my company) conducted research on CWV readiness and “mobile-first” compliance to determine the potential impact on four major industry sites. But first, it is important to understand the CWV opportunities and the relationship between this new set of indicators and the Mobile Priority Index.
Uncover the mystery of core network life
Before proceeding, please note that CWV is not a guiding principle, and you may be punished if you don’t follow it. camouflage This is one such example that violates Google’s webmaster guidelines. If you get caught up with it, you risk being punished by Google.
On the other hand, Core Web Vitals is an opportunity. If you fail to meet the thresholds in each of the three main focus areas that make up the CWV signal, you will not be punished. However, you will miss the ranking boost that people who meet the criteria can get.
What are these standards?
Core Web Vitals and mobile first go hand in hand for search UX
Safe browsing, HTTPS security and intrusive interstitial guidelines are very simple-do you meet the guidelines, otherwise not.
“Mobile First” and “Core Network Life Cycle” are more complex and consist of a large number of moving parts. Therefore, as the “May” deployment approaches, more and more webmasters are receiving attention. Hosting, website structure, image optimization, etc. may all affect how the website loads on mobile devices.James Parsons recently shared a Checklist optimized through 28 points When you prepare the CWV that every webmaster and SEO should check out.
Mobile first also has a huge impact due to its impact on the local search experience.considering 60% ‘S mobile search has local intent, and most companies cannot ignore Google’s emphasis on mobile indexing. When local consumers search for nearby businesses in nearby areas to meet their needs, the website must load lightning fast.
So, how do companies prepare for the Page Experience update? BrightEdge (my company) recently conducted a study that compared popular sites in different industries to see how vulnerable each site is to the May update. At present, we are not yet able to evaluate the impact of introducing CWV into the ranking algorithm. Therefore, we hope to explore preparations and establish benchmarks.
This is what we found.
Which sites can benefit from the enhancement of “core network vitality”?
To conduct this research, we analyzed more than 1,500 URLs in four industries:
- Education (253 URLs)
- Finance (328 URLs)
- B2B (302 URLs)
- Retail (689 URLs)
Instead of using the homepage, we chose the URL that is responsible for driving the organic traffic of each website. For each web page, we measured the voice share of the top 500 keywords in each industry, analyzed the speed performance of mobile web pages using the Crux database, and evaluated compliance with the core network life cycle using the following parameters:
- Maximum satisfactory paint: less than 2.5 seconds
- First input delay: less than .1 second
- Cumulative layout shift: less than .01
Facts have proved that certain industries are better prepared for page experience updates than others. These findings reflect that if URLs launched today account for the improvement in Core Web Vitals rankings, the percentage will reach the following percentage:
- 24% of financial website
- 13% of B2B URLs
- 5% of education URLs
- Less than one percent of the retail URL
As you can see, there are plenty of seats on the table for brands that take immediate action to align with this imminent update. When the ranking rises, the first movers will enjoy the benefits of this ranking improvement.Complete discovery Can be found here.
- LCP has an impact on user bounce rate, reducing the time spent using First Contentful Paint can increase the conversion rate by up to 15%
- CLS will affect conversions, because layout changes will annoy users and ruin their experience
- FID is the key to the website’s ability to respond to the actions that users want to take.Help the website respond more quickly to actions taken by your audience
- Corporate websites built on applications that need to execute a lot of scripts are increasing in complexity and may require significant investment to be consistent with CWV
The following are some of our findings based on the industry.
- More than 50% of pages meet all three CWV standards on the desktop
- Job search sites like Indeed.com most often reach the CWV threshold
- More than 60% of pages meet all three CWV standards on the desktop
- Banks and brokerage sites are in trouble, and information resources (such as Investopedia) perform well
- Nearly 70% of the pages meet all three CWV standards on the desktop
- Information and definition type pages work best, but transactional content struggles
- More than 50% of pages meet all three CWV standards on the desktop
- Similarly, information resources (such as “Technology Radar” and “Consumer Reports”) perform best
It is worth mentioning that in the retail industry, multiple product listings from the same domain dominate the voice share, leading to a higher proportion of retail URLs to be tested. We have not seen an example of a major online retailer (Amazon, Target, and others) winning a place on their homepage-it is the product and category pages that fuel their organic traffic.
We assume that page attributes (such as product hero images and promotional pop-ups) are causing disqualifications to maximize content and layout.
The Core Web Vitals signal and the larger set of Page Experience metrics will definitely have an impact, but they are one of many signals to Google that your web pages provide searchers with a safe, positive, and useful experience.This is the soul of every update Google makes, so it should be your driving force SEO strategy.
As you prepare to update Page Experience and implement Core Web Vitals as Google ranking signals, please keep these findings in mind:
- The mobile experience is impactful and is essential for optimization across all industries.
- Image compression and optimization are challenging for many brands, and this provides opportunities for those who can do this.
- Compared with transactional pages, more information pages meet the Core Web Vitals indicator.
- Retail brands will experience greater volatility in search results, especially if second-tier retailers can use Page Experience and get a ranking boost.
Corporate digital marketers and SEOs must immediately Correct course of action to achieve core key benchmarks, So they will not fall behind. How to communicate the potential impact of the upcoming decision makers on winning the buy is the key.