YouTube was launched in 2005 and quickly became a top platform for sharing videos such as video blogs, tutorials, and original episodes. Just a year later, YouTube has 100 million video views and 65,000 daily uploads.
Having said that, it is safe to say that YouTube is the most popular video sharing platform in existence. Its simplicity allows creators and businesses to upload content and share it with a large audience. As a result, people go to YouTube for various reasons, whether it’s makeup tutorials or product reviews.
If you’re not sure whether posting on YouTube is good for your business, we’ll put together a list of statistics to help you make a decision.
YouTube growth trend statistics
- Between 2016 and 2021, the year-on-year growth rate of YouTube users is staggering. The growth rate in 2016 was 13%, and the growth rate in 2021 was 4.9%.
- By 2021, there will be approximately 1.86 billion YouTube users worldwide, up from 1.47 billion in 2017.
- It is estimated that by 2022, the audience in the United States will reach 210 million, compared with 192 million in 2018.
- In May 2019, 500 minutes of YouTube videos are uploaded every minute.
- Five hundred minutes of video uploaded to YouTube every minute is equivalent to about 30,000 hours of video uploaded every hour.
- From 2014 to 2019, the number of hours of video content uploaded to YouTube every 60 seconds increased by 40%.
- Video consumption is one of the most popular ways of content consumption. 85% of Internet users in the United States access online videos through YouTube at least once a week.
- In 2019, YouTube reported that 2 billion people log on to the platform every day and watch 1 billion hours of video every day.
- YouTube accounts for 21% of global video streaming traffic, closely following Netflix, which accounted for 26.6% in 2019.
- In 2019, Youtube became the leading online video platform in the United States, with a 90% user share!
- In the last quarter of 2020, there are 912,000 streaming channels on YouTube Gaming Live.
YouTube usage statistics
- In 2019, 48% of people found that YouTube will make the greatest contribution to improving the effectiveness of PR communication in the next five years.
- 82% of people use YouTube as a source of entertainment.
- 18% of people use YouTube exclusively to follow brands and companies.
- 7% of people use YouTube to enhance their professional work.
- 8% think YouTube is a good way to keep in touch with friends and family.
- 37% of viewers between 30% and 49 years old use Youtube as a news source.
- One-third of women said they watched YouTube’s beauty tutorial videos at least once a week.
YouTube marketing statistics
- According to YouTube’s partner program, YouTube’s advertising revenue exceeds $5 billion.
- From 2014 to 2019, Influential marketing There is a rise on all platforms. YouTube proved to be the fastest growing, with a value of $1,600 per post in 2019.
- As of 2020, YouTube is the fifth largest marketing social media platform after Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Apple is the largest advertiser on YouTube in 2020, receiving a staggering 2.23 billion impressions.
- Turbotax received 1.99 billion impressions on YouTube, ranking second and becoming the largest advertiser.
- In 2019, 29% of marketers found that they could skip the intro ad YouTube video ads Considered to be the most effective form of advertising on YouTube.
- In contrast, only 7% of marketers find that non-skippable ads are the most effective.
- For 10% of marketers, display advertising is the most effective YouTube advertising marketing strategy.
- In 2020, 60% of marketers said they would increase YouTube’s marketing budget.
Video content has been removed from YouTube statistics
- In 2021, spam, scams and misleading content accounted for 51.4% of YouTube deleted comments.
- In 2020, almost half (42.6%) of videos deleted from YouTube have zero views.
- In addition, due to extensive automated content tagging, 33.8% of users have only 10 views to be deleted.
- Of the videos deleted from YouTube in 2020, spam alone accounted for 25.5%.
- The child safety reason is the reason why 31.7% of the videos on YouTube are deleted.
- India accounted for more than 1.46 million deleted videos and the United States accounted for 1.14%.
Record-breaking YouTubers and viral content statistics
- As of June 2020, nine-year-old Ryan Kaji (or Ryan’s ToysReview) is the world’s highest paid YouTuber, with revenues of approximately 29.5 million.
- Ryan is not the youngest member of the highest paid YouTubers. Ranked seventh is the seven-year-old Anastasia Radzinskaya, whose income in 2020 is $18.5 million, defeated by Nastya.
- In August 2020, the Korean boy band BTS broke the world record and became the fastest-spreading YouTube video, generating 101.1 million views in 24 hours.
- In addition to BTS, the top-ranked K-Pop artists for viral videos also include BlackPink, PSY and Twice.
- In terms of lifetime views, the most popular Youtube video is “Despacito ft. Dady Yankee” by Luis Fonsi.
- Adele’s “Hello” reached 1 billion views in 87 days, becoming the fastest video to get 1 billion views.
Most popular YouTube account statistics
- The most popular content on YouTube is fashion and beauty-related content, such as makeup and skin care tutorials, clothing introductions, and product recommendations.
- As of January 2021, the most popular beauty and fashion channels on YouTube include Yuya (24.5 million subscribers), Jefreestar (16.7 million subscribers) and Musas (15 million subscribers).
- In terms of the most popular brand channel on YouTube, Lego ranks first with an average of 10 billion video views.
- The second and third most popular brands on YouTube are Vat19 (5.84 billion views) and IDJVideos TV (4.49 billion views).
- In terms of subscribers, as of January 2021, the Indian music channel T series has the largest number of subscribers (169 million).
- YouTube Movies ranked second in the number of subscribers in 2021, with approximately 131 million subscribers.
- PewDiePie is the most popular gaming YouTube channel in 2020, with 107 million subscribers.
- Other popular gaming channels are not close to the number of subscribers PewDiePie has. The second largest gaming channel is Fernanfloo (38.2 million subscribers) and VEGETTA777 (31.3 million subscribers).
- In 2020, UMG (Universal Music Group) @YouTube became the most popular YouTube partner channel in the United States for the first time, with more than 45.87 million independent American viewers.
YouTube user behavior and demographic statistics
- Gen Z (53%) men use YouTube as their favorite platform to follow influential people.
- 42% of Gen Z women use YouTube to track influencers, and Instagram is the most popular.
- By 2020, 62% of YouTube users in the United States will visit the platform every day.
- Users in the 15-25 age group account for 77% of all YouTube users.
- Related to the 15 to 25 age group are users in the 26 to 35 age group, accounting for 77% of the user share.
- The 36-45 age group YouTube users account for 73%, and the 46-55 age group YouTube users account for 70%.
- Statistics show that, regardless of age, YouTube is always popular with everyone.
- In 2020, 72% of male users and 72% of female users logged into YouTube.
- For 64% of YouTube users, the most common interest is music.
YouTube on-demand statistics
- YouTube is the fifth most used video provider in the United States, with a 39% market share.
- 69% of YouTube customers pay for this service to watch what they want.
- On the other hand, 58% of YouTube customers pay for carnival watching shows.
- 35% of YouTube on Demand customers consider themselves regular users.
- Popular shows watched by YouTube customers are comedies (77%), followed by thrillers/crime/mysteries (60%).
- 72% of YouTube customers use their Mobile devices Watch the video content.
- 75% of YouTube customers want to access YouTube on-demand on other devices.
- YouTube customers use social media more than non-paying customers.
YouTube customer demographics
- Most of YouTube’s customers (59%) are made up of men, while women account for 41%.
- Young people aged 25 to 34 account for 32% of Youtube customers, making them the most important age group.
- 26% of households using YouTube on-demand have at least two people.
- Urban and rural areas account for 58% of places where people have YouTube on-demand.
- In the United States, 37% of households pay for YouTube on-demand, and their household income is very high.
- Customers who live in non-rural areas and have YouTube on-demand features are 29% more likely to live in large cities than in urban areas.
Knowing YouTube statistics will help you understand where YouTube applies to your marketing strategy and the strategies your business can use to thrive on the platform. YouTube is most useful in the cosmetics, retail, and product industries because, from a statistical point of view, these video types have gained a high level of engagement.
However, with compelling content and powerful strategies, businesses from all walks of life can convert YouTube users into customers.
We got our statistics Statista Premium.