What you noticed about Google Maps and the rest The reason for local searches for zoos is that there is usually no single, isolated reason that makes one company better than another. On the contrary, various factors are at work: some obvious factors, some less obvious factors, Many possibilities, There are some things that no one may know.But I want to go further, if you know that certain factors will cause you to rank higher, then you are in a better position interaction Between each other, it is usually unpredictable.
You can’t see local search ranking factors at a glance. Google certainly won’t.Now, using your local SEO for operations is not a bad idea Big list.That can take you farther, especially if you Stick to it.You only run into trouble if you seem to have done your own thing completely Strongest competitor Already done-maybe you do even better-you are still short and don’t know why.
So the first thing to know is Certain ranking factors seem to be related to each other. The second thing to know is that those relationships are often weird. Hollywood is not surprising, but in most cases it is enough to make most people escape intuition.
Now may be a good time to emphasize These are just my observations. Of course, they are based on the fact that I have made local SEO work clothes dirty for about 71 Internet years, and I have seen these phenomena appear again and again.I often interpret these points as client And other content, and always test it. Therefore, I am confident that although you may observe different things and draw different conclusions (I would love to hear), you will at least observe some of the same things as I have observed (if you have not observed If it arrives). In any case, I think a phenomenon that I understand is always possible in reality. In addition, I do not claim to be able to explain everything perfectly. I’m just sharing my experimental notes, and I hope you will use them for the local market.
Anyway this is Some strange relationships between ranking factors appearing in Google local search results (maps + organic search):
1. The lower the density of local competitors for a search term, the more locations you can rank for. In other words, the more professional your product, the wider the range of services you can actually enter.This is just because More niche The search term Google needs to work harder to find relevant results nearby, so it needs to look further away.All right In Google Maps And get organic results.
2. The lower the density of local competitors, the faster you expect to rank for a given search term. A somewhat intuitive point of view-of course, when Google has fewer options, it will be less critical-but business owners always ignore it.This is one of the reasons when you open a new company or new location Focus on smaller, more specialized terms, And the geographical conditions are stricter, rather than Your entire range of services. You will not put in more effort than you can chew, and you are more likely to gain some popularity/customers in the near future.
3. The stronger Backlink profile A website with new content on that site-or a GMB page that points to that site-is highly likely to rank higher. Why can larger companies create “Google My Business” pages, or add humble new pages, or explode Blog post, And in most cases, does it rank better than most competitors?It doesn’t have to be a day, but it may take a few weeks, anyway before you Get a good ranking.
Whenever I see a business that I can see quickly, No spam, I can almost always find a better link profile than the competition.If your GMB page or “service” or “City” page Or blog posts (or other content) attached to a domain with good and relevant links, especially if you have obtained relevant links in the past few years, even if your URL is exact, you are more likely to get a more stable The ranking site does not have any specific links it however.
4. The more links you have, the more forgiving Google will be. Bad link. (This phenomenon is not unique to local SEO, but ubiquitous in SEO.) Most websites that have existed for more than two years have some Links that look dark are usually unwanted by the site owner and no one creates them. There are always ants on the picnic. Google seems to know this and take it into account.
The bad news is that this may be why some of the larger brands and organizations often abandon solutions such as buying links, building networks, or crambling exactly-matched anchor text into links, even if smaller or newer companies are in It will also be punished if it tries to gain a foothold in this way. Usually, larger companies have enough decent links that Google can get a glimpse of the big picture and conclude that the company does not rely solely on these plans. If a new site or a site that does not have many or any good links tries a certain solution, and 80% of its links seem to have become useless to Google, then the plan will of course cause trouble, because in a certain Sometimes this is too much trouble.
At the same time, building a more complete site may get the same behind-the-scenes links, because these links may account for 5% of its total visits. Fair? Maybe not, but this always seems to be the case.
The good news is that as long as you have some links from the relevant sites, you can get them with some effort, so if you have some spam links, you don’t have to worry about fines.
5. The more you Develop your homepage -Usually yours GMB landing page URL – The wider the range of terms you can rank on the local map. I find Many years, If you use the homepage as the GMB landing page URL, not only will you rank the highest on the local map, but your homepage is also likely to rank for a large number of search terms. Other pages on your website It tends to rank smaller and more relevant term groups (if you type correctly). For most companies, the homepage often has most or all good links.
That means several things.One of the reasons may be why your homepage often outperforms other pages on your website on the words you want Those ones The page to be ranked. The other is that as long as the content is relevant, your homepage will often have enough link size to rank at least for certain terms you want.That’s where most business owners travel along the 5-yard line: their Homepage relies on information on services and service areas, And read more like a brochure.
6. The better your website organically performs, the higher your GMB page ranking (in some aspects, some aspects you care about), the more likely it is. Most local SEO is organic SEO, but there are some twists and turns. If you have multiple sites, but are not sure which site can paste your GMB page, my suggestion is to choose the one that is most visible in the natural search results, preferably for local related terms. (By the way, this is why some people change from Old strategy The idea of using a page on the BIG domain (such as a Facebook, Yelp or Google site) as its GMB landing page URL. The GMB page is burdened with the prominence of the domain and the link mojo, and Google is too mature or lacks concentration to do anything about it.
7. The more work you do Local citation, Then you are less likely to get any benefits from further work. Especially if you already have other factors in your favor, and especially if your citations are messed up, you were able After finishing the list on the basic website, your Google Maps / GMB ranking will improve. Other than that? Not so much. Many business owners did some work on citations, saw some boost, and thought: “It’s cool! I processed 20 lists and saw the results, so I will list 200 lists on other websites, and It should get 10 times the result.” It will never be solved like that. The point of diminishing returns for citation work, and based on my experience, it really happened quickly.
8. The better the page’s performance, the easier it is for you to rank it for relevant words or Nearby area, Or both. I can’t explain, but I noticed the “snowball” effect time and time again, in this case Identify page On sites that already rank well for certain local search terms, you add at least Loosely Related to the terms that the page ranks for, and whether the page is ranked for those new terms sooner or later.
So, suppose you are a dentist and you have One page For “cosmetic dentist” or similar terms, this is very obvious. Compared to ranking individual, dedicated, more targeted pages, you are more likely to get the same page to rank “tooth veneer” or “tooth whitening” (or both), and the pressure is more small. I found that this method is most likely to be used on wider pages (such as the home page, “Statement” page, Sometimes referred to as the “service” page.It can help expand the various terms on which the page ranks in natural search results, and in some cases, can expand your visibility In 3-pack / Google Maps. If you try to branch on a page that is already working, it is usually not difficult.
9. The more comments you get, the easier it is Get more comments. That could be a good thing or a bad thing. When you receive a lot of negative comments, people are more likely to pudge you.Or, when you get a lot of good reviews, people who become your customers/clients/patients are more likely to have I chose you because Your praise, And tend to write comments to you when the time is right.
10. The longer the existence of Google Maps spam, Harder for Google to correct it. I don’t know if this is because older GMB pages with larger spam tend to accumulate more comments (which seems to help the spam to be retained), or because the business is more likely to be listed on the site Google uses to visit commodity Confirm the information Engaged in a business, or because Google has enough business Behavioral data On the GMB page (its name, the people who clicked, the location of these people, etc.). I suspect it is some combination of these factors, plus some factors that I can’t even guess.Anyway, there is A sad “fake until you succeed” reality It benefits both the smartest spammers and the well-intentioned unintentional rule-makers.
11. The faster you get a good ranking, the more likely it is that your ranking will fluctuate. It’s nice to see the bumps Just from change Your company name And/or “Google My Business” page, or move to another address, or basic work On your local list and website. But it may also mean that your competitors can easily kick you down.Or it may mean that for some reason, you are in a Google test bucket where seemingly random local businesses convert it into results, presumably just to See who clicks.
I’m not saying that bad results mean you have a good long-term game, but it hasn’t been resolved. I’m not saying that sometimes stubborn problems have no simple solutions. Winning quickly may bring lasting benefits, and you will get all the good news you may get.
I just said this sentence: come easily, go easily.
To what extent have you noticed this interaction? Do they seem to help or hurt you or your competitors?
Do you think there are other things?
Do you find any other “weird relationships” between ranking factors?
Post a comment!